My 9/11 story...a confession

Hey guys! I want to bring attention to the fact that today is the 10th anniversary of the biggest disaster to take place on American soil. I wanted to share with you all a secret that I'm rather ashamed of. When September 11th 2001 happened and we were attacked,  I was sleeping. I was working as a waitress and was always at work till way late, which means I slept in way late every day. I was also 19 years old and was very wrapped up in myself, fashion, parties, friends, etc...I'm sure most people can relate to that at 19. I drove to work at around 11 because I was working a lunch shift, and while on my way to work I was listening to the radio but kept getting "annoying" news bulletins instead of music...I didn't bother to listen and I just turned it off and listened to a CD. I got to work and was blindsided by the grief that my coworkers were experiencing. Everyone was gathered around the TV's in the bar watching the news footage of the towers falling and the people jumping out of those tall buildings! I was dumbfounded, shocked, saddened. I didn't know what to think or feel. I didn't know anyone that lived in New York..nor did I know anyone who was in the air that day so it didn't take on much significance to me personally. I know that's horrible to say..and I'm honestly shocked that I felt that way...but it was so surreal that it was like watching a movie! Fast forward to this morning. My husband and I watched a 2 hour documentary on 9/11 on the History channel. I can't even begin to describe how I'm feeling today and how I should have been feeling 10 years ago. I can't explain my change of heart any better than this....when you are a dumb teenager living for yourself, you don't truly understand what it means to sacrifice. It doesn't compute until you look over at your precious children and imagine what it would be like to go through that kind of disaster today...with them exposed to it! I want to sincerely express my gratitude for all the heroes that surfaced during that tragedy! I want to thank God for his grace and for fueling us with the courage that we need to get through and help those that are in need. I am SO grateful for all that I have and so grateful that I am an American!! I feel so ashamed today...knowing the kind of help that I should have been for the people suffering and all the praying that I should have done for those that were closely affected by this disaster! Thank you to our troops and the families of our troops. You all truly know what it means to sacrifice. You truly know what it means to have your loved ones in harms way! Your courage is astounding and we are forever thankful for all that you do for us! God bless you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment